Monday Inspiration: New record for biggest wave ever surfed!
Last Monday, world record holder Garrett McNamara stunned the world with his epic surfing!
The swell was huge off the coast of Nazaré, Portugal, when most surfers were writing off the day's surfing, Garrett was making sure his tow jet ski was good to go.
Reports are still speculating whether Garrett McNamara aka GMAC has broken his own record which he set in Nazaré in November 2011, riding a 78' wave.
GMAC received the Biggest Wave Award in the Billabong XXL Awards in 2012 - when asked about his achievement, Garrett was quoted saying:
“It’s amazing we get to do what we do, I am so grateful. The world record doesn’t mean as much to me — this is for the town of Nazaré and Portugal and for all my family and friends there. To be able to give them something to be proud of and inspire them, a world record for this town doing it tough in the middle of nowhere is great.”
It takes a brave man to take on the giant waves, Garrett's no stranger to a mega wipeout either - check out his Wipeout of the Year nomination from January 2012:
Ready to hit the wave? Check out our surfing community here on Tribesports!
- See cyclist, think horse...
- Top 5 Tips For Faster 5km Run
- What Moves You? Inspirational Runners, Share Your Story!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Loretta A
- Product Spotlight: Performance 2-in-1 Shorts
- #OwnYourMarks February Winner!
- Challenge of the Month: Run 5km in under 30 minutes
- Product Vote Results!!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Smithy
- Men In Tights - YES, Men shaving... you decide!