The Olympic ticket no-one wants
If you're a regular cyclist in London; are planning to swap your regular commute for a bike during the Olympics or you are visiting the Capital for the Games, be sure not to get caught out:
The Olympic lanes (see picture below) are specially allocated for competitors, press and Games officials and are out of bound for bikes as well as cars.
95% of the Olympic lanes will be out of bounds to cyclists as the majority of the special lanes are in the centre of the road rather than next to the pavement. Some lanes are still classed as Olympic and Bus so cyclists are welcome in these, however the majority will be off-limits.
Fines of up to £130 will be enforced to those caught riding in the lanes without permission so ride with care! Roads are still open to cyclists though you should take extra caution as there will be an increase in traffic volume as well as more visitors in the city: Sat Navs at the ready, there may be a lot of lost drivers around the place!
Rail restrictions will also be in place during the Games so be sure to check ahead of travel to avoid disappointment, remember that when in doubt 'Keep calm and carry on cycling'! See it as a chance to take to the streets and soak up the Olympic buzz - you can complete, or add to a few Challenges whilst you are at it - perhaps cycle 5 different routes to work or clock some milage towards commuting 100 miles in a year.
Although there will be some disruption on London's roads, what's that in comparison to hosting the world's greatest sporting event? Remeber to share all your Olympic photos and stories in this Challenge!
- Should men wear shorts over their running tights?
- TRIBESPORTS TEAMS UP WITH PARKRUN
- Take the Jantastic New Year Challenge!
- New layout on our store - make sure you can still find the community!
- 5 Superfoods to Boost Your Workout (Backed by Science!)
- Winner of the #ownyourmarks vote
- The Importance of a Rest Day
- Vote for September's #OwnYourMarks Winner!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Monica S
- How Fitness has helped me cope with Inflammatory Bowel Disease.