Best 5 Motivating Albums For Your Workout Routine
Marcela De Vivo is a freelance writer from the Los Angeles area who works with music streaming company Arena.com, covering everything from music industry news to marketing, tech, and health. As a fitness lover, she exercises daily and always tries to incorporate music into her daily routine.
Sometimes, getting through a tough workout requires an extra push. An excellent playlist can help motivate you to start and finish a particularly challenging routine. Not only does good music serve as a background, but it can be a performance booster as well.
In a recent study, researchers found that the music you listen to while exercising has an effect on your training. The key is the song’s tempo - picking one that corresponds to your heart rate during a workout can enhance your physical performance. No matter what exercise you choose to perform, there’s an album that will suit your needs. Here are the best albums for your workout:
For Weightlifting and Strength-Building
Lifting weights and other strength exercises require powerful, quick music with an energizing quality to push you forward. Heavy metal is a popular genre of music in many weight rooms, precisely because of the driving beat and energy. Other choices include pop music for the short, quick beats, and soundtracks from movies that have a theme about overcoming some sort of adversity like Gladiator and Rocky.
Our picks include:
- Guns ‘N’ Roses, Appetite for Destruction - Driving, intense hard rock is popular in gyms across the nation for a reason. This album is sure to help motivate you through a particularly tough set.
- Skrillex, Bangarang - With driving tempos, this album is ideal for weight lifters who need extra motivation to get through their workout.
For High-Intensity Cardio
To fit your cardio workout - whether steady state or interval driven - finding high-energy music will improve your endurance. Whether you are running, biking or dancing, pop remixes or electronic-dance music would be your best choice for beats. Music that is relentless, keeps the beat and stays invigorating are ideal, regardless of genre, can support your cardio efforts.
Our picks include:
Daft Punk, Alive 2007 - Electronic music with powerful beats that have driving crescendos, which is just the thing you need to give you an extra boost while powering through a gruelling cardio workout. This album blends seamlessly from track to track, keeping the flow of motivating music.
- David Guetta, Nothing but the Beat - Featuring collaborations with artists from the R&B, hip hop and pop worlds, such as Lil Wayne, Taio Cruz, Nicki Minaj, Ludacris, Afrojack, Chris Brown, Flo Rida, Usher, Jennifer Hudson, Dev, Timbaland, Jessie J and Sia Furler, this album is packed with driving dance tunes that will help you keep your heart rate up.
For Yoga & Calm Stretching
Music that is soothing and non-distracting suits yoga, stretching or other low-impact exercises. Albums or playlists with soft vocals (or none at all) with lower beats per minute than music that suits weight lifting or cardio are ideal.
Our picks include:
- Sigur Rós, Valtari - A soothing combination of strings, choirs and piano that are both serene and energizing, this album is ideal for slower, pose-focused exercises, like various forms of yoga and stretching during cool down.
Whether you create your own playlist or you prefer to use existing compilations, these are some great albums to help you get your workout started. By matching the music you listen to while working out, you can push your performance to the next level. Get inspiration for workout tunes in the Workout Music Tribe and the Top Workout Tunes thread. Share your favourite motivating albums below!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Marco C
- Cover the Earth With Runners for Earth Day
- Tribesports User of the Week: Mirja E
- #RunWithMe - Tell your running story
- Good Luck London Marathon Runners!
- Winner Of Tag And Win Announced!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Brad N
- New Product Survey: Have your say!
- Marathon Running: Final Tips for Success
- My World Record Kettlebell Swings