Connor M 3/4
Fartlek is Swedish for Speedplay and was developed in 1937 by Swedish coach Gösta Holmér.
Whilst I recommend you google it and learn more about it and the more advanced methods and styles this challenge is going to stick to a very simple form of Fartlek training.
It involves interval training on a treadmill, track or road, however a treadmill is preferred as you can monitor your speeds better.
Power your running with 4 weeks of Fartlek Training Challenge rules
- The Challenge is a 4 week course with 1 session a week of Fartlek training
- You will first be required to do a 5min warm up at a nice steady jog.
- After you warm up you will enter into 10mins of Fartlek training. 1 min will be run at your normal running pace followed by 1minn of running flat out.
- You will repeat the 1min at normal pace and then flat out for 1mins, so 5mins of normal and 5mins of flat out.
- You will then do a steady cool down jog for 3 to 5 mins
- You will introduce this into to your training schedule at 1 session per week for 4weeks.
- Most important rule, enjoy it and smile.
- Not all types of physical activity are suitable for everyone. Users take Challenges and training advice at their own personal risk.
Training for the following exercises will be automatically logged against this Challenge:
Show new updates
Eunice Y encouraged this.
Maria G encouraged this.
Kabrina C This will most likely have to wait until I get home from my trip or at least until I find a gym that will let me pay per day (going to Batumi and Tbilisi, Georgia next so if anyone knows of any gyms there like that, let me know!!) but taking this now so as not to forget...
Kel M day 1 speed work training .. hit the down hill at work 1km then ran back up hill 1km... finish of with this on tready tonight :)
Matteo R encouraged this.
Kirsten M Oops forgot to post week 4 but week 5 as follows
1.98 miles at 6.65mph and 3.73 miles in 33.35 mins well chuffed!
Carol Ann B encouraged this.
Richard H encouraged this.
Louis B Became part of a running group. Training 3 times a week mainly consists of interval training. Helped me increase my average speed up to 12K per hour.
Lisa B encouraged this.
Eoin O Just back to running after a foot issue. My first run back was intervals, not a great idea...ow!
Samantha L logged 2.78 km of Running in 0:18:00
First fartlek training.... just getting into running again
Samantha L While I prefer road running, I will try to make it to the gym to use a treadmill to monitor my speed! Hopefully improvements will be made!
Why not ask for some advice from other Challenge takers, or read some of the Challenge guides first?OK, I'll keep working at it!
Nichola D logged 6.44 km of Running
Cindy P logged 6.12 km of Running in 0:37:48
Joanna G logged 8.13 km of Running in 0:55:30
Nichola D logged 12.37 km of Running
Cindy P logged 3.45 km of Running in 0:30:00
Nichola D logged 10.01 km of Running
Nichola D logged 10.0 km of Running
Joanna G logged 8.05 km of Running in 0:56:59
Kaye D logged 4.02 km of Running in 0:24:00
Ali S logged 8.52 km of Running in 0:41:45