FINALLY THE SUN HAS ARRIVED. Just as we were beginning to wonder if it would ever re-emerge or if it was just a mere figment of our imagination, the sun has beamed down upon this earth and graced us with its generous warmth.
So light the barbecues! Shed the thick woollen jumpers! Throw on the shorts and tees and prepare yourself for the inevitable disappointment when next week roles around and grey clouds once again blanket our skies.
Queue hideously unoriginal jokes about how we’ve had our one week of summer. If you’ve ever made one of those jokes, just know everybody hates you.
Anyway, might as well live in the moment and embrace the sunshine vibes with this fabulously summery smoothie.
This mango and chia seed smoothie combines a refreshing, cool, summery taste with a huge kick of goodness provided by the superfood that is chia seeds.
What makes Chia seeds a superfood?
- Omega-3 protects the heart by lowering blood pressure, reducing inflammation and also potentially lowering cholesterol. It is also good for the overall health of your brain, in particular your memory.
- Calcium, magnesium and manganese are vital for the production and maintenance of healthy bones and teeth.
- Potassium and manganese are needed for healthy nerve and muscle function.
- Protein is essential for the growth and repair of muscles.
- Iron is essential for controlling the release of energy in the body and combating fatigue and tiredness.
- Zinc helps with digestion, supports your immune system and helps make new cells and enzymes.
- Phosphorous builds healthy bones and teeth, filters out waste in the kidneys and is essential to how the body stores energy. It is also needed for the maintenance and repair of all tissues and cells.
- Fibre is important for digestive health.
- Antioxidants fight free radicals in your body, which are widely believed to cause cancer.
- One whole mango
- 125 grams peach slices (drained)
- 1 banana
- 300ml unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Whack it all in a blender.